Wednesday, November 23, 2022

Wednesday, 23 November

Westerdam Returns to Sydney

After a rather slow and rough crossing of the Tasman Sea, the Westerdam is docked at the Overseas Passenger Terminal at Circular Quay, just across from the Opera House. Our arrival was delayed three hours, which made chaos for those needing to catch early flights home, but it was good for me:  I didn't have to rise quite that early to get a good open-bow view of our arrival. In spite of the wind today, the weather is sunny and in the high 70s. I hope this indicates good weather for the next 14 days of the cruise.

By the end of this blog I will be caught up in time and look forward to falling behind as I have more to report as we head south and west around the bottom of Australia

Sunday, 20 Nov 2022 

Auckland, New Zealand

Although rain is predicted for this very changeable city, it holds off until after we sail at 1pm. I content myself with walking around and through the extended harbor area, Auckland's finest asset. There is very little of architectural or historical interest here--Wellington, although a smaller city, was much more interesting. I'm glad I had two days there.

But, of course, I have some photos to share:

Sailing into Auckland Harbor at 5:40am

Room Service Breakfast--Not Bad

Old Ferry Building


Lower Queen Street Government Building
                                                   
Christmas Decorations on Lower Queen Street

Central Business District Under Threatening Clouds
(above and below)



Facade of Bank Building Addition (above)
and Window Detail (below)


Auckland's Sky Tower in Returning Sunshine

New and Old Ferry Buildings Viewed from the Westerdam as She Sails to Australia


Sunday-Wednesday, 2023 Nov 2022 

From Auckland to Sydney

I have already commented on the rough voyage back across the Tasman Sea to Sydney, causing the Westerdam to arrive three hours late on Wednesday morning. Given the shaky nature of the voyage, I don't have much to report. So I shall consider myself caught up and the next blog will cover my one day more in Sydney before we head south to our next port and next day in Eden, Australia.