Tuesday, April 14, 2015

14 April 2015
Fiumicino to Civitavecchia 

Today is the first day of the cruise and as usual, I have much to catch up on.  Perhaps by the end of the 22 days I will be up to date.

I am waiting for the hotel shuttle to take me back to the airport(a very short ride) where I wll meet the HAL shuttle to take me to the pier in Civitevecchia--hereafter called "Citti" (c as in chew) as the locals do.  But first a recap of the past two days.

From Toronto to Rome
12 April 2015
The Air Canada flight to Rome is most relaxing. Business class consists of 24 sleeping pods in three separated rows (there is no first class). Each private pod turns into a full-length flat bed, with a firm pillow and a warm duvet.  If you decide not to sleep, you lie back and use the multi-channel entertainment system at your command. A 3-course dinner is served on cloth mats with silverware and real glasses.  There is lots of free alcohol on offer, but I stick to Perrier.  Menu includes a seafood appetizer, salad, roll, butter, filet mignon in spicy sauce with mashed potatoes mixed with crab (I jettisoned the crabs) and fresh fruit for dessert. The excellent infotainment system at each seat allows me to watch "The Imitation Game."   It was quite well done, although I wished for a fuller explanation of how "Christopher" works; that ishow electronic circuits become letter and words. I turn my seat into a full-length bed while watching the film and then sleep for about five hours.

Breakfast is by choice, about 75 minutes prior to landing. You fill out a card with food preference (the usual continental stuff) or you can indicate you do not wish to be awakened. The interactive map on the info screen shows that we are just about to fly over the south coast of England near Brighton, after first crossing central Ireland and then cutting southeastward over Britain.  The sky started to lighten about an hour ago, but there is a thick carpet of clouds below us blocking out the views.

Things change quickly at 550 mph and we are alreadyhalfway across the Channel toward Rouen and Paris. The sky has cleared as we sail across the Southern Alps toward the Ligutian Sea and the northwestern coast of Italy, between Genoa and Rapallo.

Rome Arrival
13 April 2015

I go through immigration and customs very quickly; no paperwork required and speak briefly with a HAL person about tomorrow morning's shuttle from the airport to the ship.  

A taxi driver inside the terminal wants €60 (almost $70.) to take me to my hotel (which is very close to the airport).  But outside and a very few steps across the street are local Fiumicino taxis that charge a flat €15 to the hotel--much more appropriate.  The Golden Tulip Airport Hotel, part of a Dutch chain, is very nice.  I'm upgraded to a superior room with a balcony overlooking the pool and gardens--very nice, since the rate includes breakfast and unlimited wifi..  I've arranged to take the free shuttle (that's even better than €15) to take me back to the airport at 8am tomorrow, where I have arranged (which means "paid for") the HAL shuttle for the 45 minute drive to the port.  Then I shall be able to unpack at last.  No upgrades on this cruise, since the ship has been completely sold out.  

Afternoon

To avoid the call of the bed for a nap, I opt to take a walk.  This hotel is not very close to the center of Fiominuci, but there is a pleasant walk along an inlet with a series of small-boat yards lined up one after the other.  The walk back to the hotel goes through a residential area with fine homes and estates.  No slouches here.  I have seen the center of town on an earlier visit in 2011, so feel no need to taxi to the center.  I just enjoy a lovely day of sunshine and warmth for my first day in Italy.

Dinner

IT Restaurant in the hotel overlooks the pool and garden.  I enjoy German Licher beer, insalata mista with excellent cherry tomatoes, rocket, etc, followed by cheese ravioli with Marinara sauce, focaccia bread (like very thin pizza without anything on it), and a bottle of sparkling water.  No dessert tonight since I had dessert as a light lunch this afternoon (not "with" but "as").

I hope to start posting photos tomorrow.