Sunday, April 26, 2015

Nearly an entire week has passed since I last posted anything interesting about my travels.  Today, as we sail from Venice to Katalokon, Greece, I hope to begin catching up.  I will fill you in on more details about this ill-fated ship when I return to Tucson on 6 May, but for the rest of my time at sea I hope to be bringing only happy and positive news.

Sunday, 19 April 2015
Corfu, Ionian Sea, Greece
Although Corfu (Kerkira in Greek) has much more of historical interest it is rather dissapointing after the peaceful, laid-back, spotlessly clean center of Argostoli, our previous port.  Corfu is framed by its two monumental fortresses, one on each side of the Old City.  The shuttle bus from the port ($12. rt), too far to walk comfortably, drops us at the Old Fortress, which surprisingly honors senior tickets, even for non-Europeans (other places we visit on the cruise will offer senior price tickets; this is a welcome new development).   The Old Fortress provides views over the harbor and gives a real sense of the vulnerability of Corfu to attcks seom the sea.  A large expanse of greenery, the Esplanade, provides a welcome entryway into the pedestrians-only Old Town.  

I explore a warren of sreets and alleways that make no geographic sense (helps keep pirates out), but provide a variety of domestic and business facades.  Of course, shopping is one of the key activities of Corfu, and I am greeted by all the familiar logos from around the world.  Even with many detours and much back-tracking my walk through the city to the New Fortress takes hardly any time at all. There are some small churches and shops that seem interesting, and even a reconstructed synogogue, but as a whole, Corfu doesn't seem much different than many other Greek towns.  There are probably many hidden treasures outside the city, but I don't have time to seek them out today.

Before catching the shuttle back to the Zuiderdam, I admire the Neo-Classic facade of the Asian Art Museum, but decide not to venture in.