Sunday, April 12, 2015


Toronto, Ontario
Sunday 12 April 2015

I am spending several pleasant hours in the Maple Leaf Lounge (for Business and First Class passengers), awaiting the call for boarding my overnight flight to Rome.  Of course, first I spent several hours waiting for check-in to open, since I have been here since noon when I checked out of my Toronto Hotel.

Yesterday afternoon (Saturday) Will drove me to TUS airport for my flight to Minneapolis (MSP) and then Toronto (YYZ).  How civiled to leave at 1:20 in the afternoon rather than the 6am flights I usually catch.  Of course there has to be a snafu.  When I checed in at Delta they said I had to pay $35 for my second suitcase, even though my wifi check-in said both bags were free.  I would not give in, although several Delta reps kept insisting that I had to pay the fee.  Finally someone thought to refresh the booking on their computer and lo! both bags were indeed free.  As we left the counter, the young lady pushing my wheelchair congratulated me for standing up for my rights -- she never saw anyone do that before.  Everything else went well, including TSA pre-check approval; did not have to take my shoes off or take my laptop out of my bag.


It was a full flight, but I enjoyed some great views of the desert and mountains for the first 20 minutes of the flight

We arrived at MSP on time, and I caught a motorized cart to my next gate, which was about as far as it could possibly be.  I never could have made it in a regular wheelchair or on foot.  The flight was delayed a few minutes waiting for late luggage (probably mine).

Toronto Airport is very efficient, but very large--glad I had help.  The BW airport hotel has free shuttle pickup; a short wait but very cold.   

After a good night's rest I'm enjoying free food and drinks the Lounge and there isn't too long until my flight.  So more later from Rome.