Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Since the wifi seems to be working well tonight, I will do another blog entry before retiring for sleep.  The Zuiderdam is sailing from Nafplion to Pireaus at a fairly slow rate of 7.8 knots (nautical miles per hour).  I am looking forward to visiting the new (ish) Acropolis Museum tomorrow, one of the sites in the city that I didn't have time for during my last visit in 2010.

Tuesday, 21 April 2015
Kotor, Montenegro

We have taken a slight detour south from Dubrovnik, before heading north to other ports in Croatia, in order to visit the delightful city of Kotor, Montenegro (another new country for my list).  Like Dubrovnik, but smaller, Kotor is a walled city that faces the sea on one side and is backed by mountains on the other.  The Zuiderdam docks right in front of one of the city gates, and I can literally fall from the ship into the city.  This is a place that calls for a relaxed walk through narrow streets and alleyways, unless you wish to climb up into the hills for the views from the upper fortresses (which I myself do not desire to do).  The town square has an interesting clock tower and the cathedral has a museum on the upper floor with an open terrace that allows one to look down over the central city.  The walls are not complete, but I can walk along several major parts, allowing fine views of the Adriatic as well as the city.  Otherwise, there are lots of opportunities for dining and shopping.

I spend several hours in the morning touring the city and then return again after lunch when the light is much better for photographs (the advantage of docking so close to the city).