Saturday, April 18, 2015

Thursday, 16 April 2015
Valletta, Malta

The Zuiderdam is docked at the port below the city of Valletta, capital of Malta.  Will and I were here in October 2010 and took an all-day excursion from Cunard's Queen Victoria, so we didn't need to figure out how to get up the cliff to the city itself. Fortunately, not far from the cruise port, is a new elevator that takes me up to the gardens at the top, from where there are wonderful views over the harbor and city.  








I decide to test my old exploration skills and spend the morning in the city of Mdina, on the other side of the island.  The public bus ride takes about 30 minutes and I am lucky to find a seat on a very crowded vehicle.  But the cost is miniscule compared to what the ship and the tourist agencies charge, and I have the advantage of freedom to explore "The Silent City" on my own. Under the bright blue sky the sandstone colored buildings provide a vivid contrast. One narrow alleyway leads to another and the views from the city walls encompass both coasts of the island.  Even with many tourists around, there are streets and squares where I can be the only person in view.  For those who wish to visit Malta, while Valletta itself is an interesting city to explore, Mdina is certainly the highlight.



After a couple of hours strolling, I take a thankfully-uncrowded bus back to the capital.  The new gateway to the city designed by Renzo Piano has been completed and provides a welcoming vista down the pedestrian-only main street.  Lined with shops and restaurants and crowded with locals and tourists, this street leads to the Prime Minister's Palace and to the Co-Cathedral of St John, whose baroque interior created with the money provided by the Knights of Malta, is a dazzling display. The small museum inside the cathedral contains several large Caravaggio canvases (he lived on Malta for a short time between jail terms).  





After enjoying the delights of Valletta, I take the elevator back down to the port and the ship.  Tomorrow is a sea day and I am looking forward to that.